Students participating in FHS Choir and Band are eligible to participate in OMEA solo and ensemble competition. The event is held on Saturday, February 16 at Westerville North High School and performance times occurr all day from 8am to 5pm. If you are interested, please consider the following things before telling me you are going to participate:
1. You must play a piece from the required list for your instrument or voice range. Voice pieces have piano accompaniment. Music is graded on difficulty with C being the easier and A being most difficult. If this is your first time at solo and ensemble contest, I recommend you taking a class “C” solo. We will shop for appropriate music get your sheet music to you no later than December 10.
2. Your entry fee of $25 will be paid for by either the music department or the boosters. If you drop out after this fee has been paid, you are responsible for repaying this amount.
3. You will have to practice. A lot. You will be graded by a judge on the I to V scale with a I being superior and V being poor. You will be judged on fundamentals of playing/singing, musical accuracy, and musical interpretation. Soloists who receive a “I” rating will earn a medal.
4. You will need to meet with me once per week for a 15 minute lesson before or after school. You will also need to meet with your accompanist twice before the contest at the convenience of the accompanist to prepare your final performance. If you take private lessons, you need only meet with us once before your accompanist rehearsals.
5. If you know someone who plays piano, you are welcome to find your own accompanist. If you do not, one will be provided for you, but your final rehearsals will need to be scheduled at a time that is convenient for your accompanist.
If you have any questions after reading this, please do not hestitate to ask me.